Eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables are not only an important part of our daily diets, they can keep us healthy and strong! They are low in calories, naturally fat free, and full of vitamins and minerals. They also contain fiber which helps lower cholesterol, prevents constipation and controls blood sugar in diabetes. Regular consumption of colorful fruits and vegetables also reduces the risk of many cancers so make sure you eat a variety every day!
Quick and Easy Snack Recipes
The academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the USDA gives us some healthy snack ideas to eat more fruit and vegetables. Use your WIC vouchers or SNAP/CalFresh benefits to purchase all of the ingredients. Not only are these snacks cheap, they are also easy for the entire family to prepare!
- Peel a banana, dip in low fat yogurt then roll in crushed cereal and freeze for a healthy frozen banana pop!
- Mix together whole grain cereal, dried fruit and nuts in a sandwich bag for an on the go snack.
- Spread celery sticks with peanut butter and top with raisins for a fun “ants on a log” snack!
- Top low fat vanilla yogurt with crunchy granola and then sprinkle with blueberries or other fruit for a healthy Yogurt Parfait.
- Microwave a small potato and top with reduced fat cheese and fresh salsa!
- Spread peanut butter on apple slices.
- Top a banana with low fat vanilla or strawberry yoghurt then sprinkle with your favorite whole grain cereal for a healthy Banana Split.
- Sprinkle Monterrey Jack Cheese on a corn or whole wheat tortilla, fold in half and microwave for 20 seconds. Top with fresh salsa!
Home gardens, farmers markets and local stores have lots of beautiful vegetables this time of year, making summer a perfect time to make salsa! Here is a great recipe book with lots of salsa recipes to try. Please see below for three healthy salsa recipes for to get your summer started!